Refer to Changing Materials: Overview for required tools and accessories, as well as the procedure for initiating a material change in the NCUI.
Always wear proper PPE (gloves and safety glasses) when in contact with materials.
- Access the remote pumping assembly through the side door on the ActiveLab™ printer. Note the locations of the purge materials and the 4x material inputs, as shown below.
- Locate the material that needs to be changed and turn the ball valve lever to a horizontal orientation.
- Loosen the cartridge retainer cap by twisting it counterclockwise on the cartridge retainer, and lifting it up at the alignment slots. Let the cartridge retainer cap dangle from the tubing on the remote pumping assembly.
- Using an adjustable wrench, loosen the inlet fitting at the base of the cartridge by turning counterclockwise until it can be removed from the connector, then immediately turn cartridge retainer (with cartridge inside) onto its wide end to avoid material dripping.
- Prepare the new 32oz cartridge by taking off the cartridge lid, standing the cartridge on its wide end, and removing the outlet cap by hand or using an adjustable wrench.
Do not remove the outlet cap from the new cartridge before it is ready to be installed onto the remote pumping assembly, as materials will crystallize when exposed to air.
- Remove the inlet fitting and cartridge retainer from the used cartridge and transfer to the new cartridge.
If material buildup is present on the inlet fitting, soak in solvent for at least 5 minutes prior to installing on new cartridge.
If used cartridge is empty, dispose of it in a hazardous waste location.
To save for later, adopt the cartridge lid and outlet cap removed from the new cartridge, and place in an appropriate environment dictated by material storage standards.
- Transfer cartridge/retainer combination to the remote pumping location, immediately tightening the inlet fitting with an adjustable wrench by turning clockwise while holding the cartridge in place.
The cartridge retainer should snap into the bracket on the assembly.
- Secure the cartridge retainer cap to the cartridge retainer by sliding it down the alignment slots and tightening clockwise until the arrows (with lock) align.
Turn the ball valve lever to the vertical position and close the side door of the printer.
- If print material is changed from extrusion material to spray material, navigate to the manual tab and incrementally jog the correct material axis 200 mL (200,000 uL) after bringing the nozzle to the nest.
- Material pressures will activate when a print is commenced and the pumping mode is defined through the settings tab.